<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

13/06/2012

Coffee & Walnut Cake

Coffee and Walnut cake is a favourite in my home and I hope it will be in yours now too.
The recipe I took from the bbc for a round cake and by using the cake-o-meter I was able to adapt the recipe to fit my pan shape and size (21cm square), I highly recommend though if you are not wanting a cake deeper than the original recipe then you enter the same pan height as what is in the original recipe even if your pain is bigger. Now you may be asking how did I know the height of the original round cake pan/tin, well I saw it said 18cm springform so I went to Amazon as if i was wanting to buy the pan and found the dimensions….i suppose i could have looked at my 20cm round springform pan in the cupboard as I’m sure they are pretty much all the same, but you know the wonders of technology and I didn't have to route around my ever growing baking cupboard.
You will wonder at the odd weights of ingredients in my recipe but I have rounded the original figures up or down accordingly to the nearest gram or for example the cake -o-meter said 3.1 eggs = 3 eggs.

Coffee & Walnut Cake

Ingredients

For The Cake





Ingredient


Quantity


Unsalted Butter, room temp


193g


Caster Sugar


193g


Egg


3


Self-raising flour


193g


Baking Powder


1 ½ tsp


Coffee Powder


3 heaped tbsp


Water


150ml


Walnuts


75g plus more for decoration



Coffee Buttercream


Unsalted Butter, room temp


150g


Vegetable shortening


100g


Peanut / Walnut butter


50g


Icing sugar


400g






Method


  1. Heat the oven to 170C/fan 150C/fan 3. Line a deep 21cm square cake tin. Mix up your coffee with warm water and leave to cool. Meanwhile sift flour and baking powder together, set aside. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs alternating with 1tbsp flour to prevent the mix curdling.
  2. Beat in 1 ½ tbsp of the coffee mixture and then add up to another tbsp little by little until the mixture drops easily off the spoon. Keep the rest of the coffee mixture for the icing and even then you will still have some left over.
  3. Stir in the 75g walnuts, snapping them into small pieces as you drop them into the bowl. Spoon into the tin, level the top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly (mine cooked in 30mins which means I must invest in an oven thermometer immediately), Cool.
  4. To make the icing, beat the butter, shortening and peanut/walnut butter until soft and then beat in icing sugar followed by the remaining coffee mixture, little by little. Stop when you have a depth of colour and flavour that you like.
  5. Cut the cake into 2 slices horizontally and then sandwich the layers together with some of the icing, you need a reasonably thick layer. Ice the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the icing using a palette knife to smooth as you go (I need to practice this as you see I got it all over the board, I did buy a cake board but it was round and too small so I chose the next best thing a chopping board!  Decorate with walnuts, I went over the top but you can use as many or few as you want and even you could chop them up and sprinkle on the top so it’s less of a chunky mouthful when you have a slice.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 13 June 2012 at 11:53 , Anonymous Annisa mulia said...

So delicious :p

Send me a piece, pleaseeeeee

 
At 13 June 2012 at 16:29 , Anonymous Noor said...

Oh this looks divine mashAllah

 
At 13 June 2012 at 17:30 , Anonymous ••❤MingMing❤•• said...

Exquisite look! I'm more into chocolate flavours but my mum loves coffee. I'll prepare this cake for my mum on her birthday! I don't buy cakes from bakery's because they add alcohol or gelatin and I think it is more healthy when you do it on your own. You know for sure what the cake is made of ;)

 
At 13 June 2012 at 18:27 , Anonymous Asmaa @ Bake It... said...

Thank you i wish i could, dh ate most of it within 2 days mashaAllah

 
At 13 June 2012 at 18:30 , Anonymous Asmaa @ Bake It... said...

Allahi barak fiki sister & thank you for keeping up with my blog its always nice to have support from your close friends.

 
At 13 June 2012 at 18:37 , Anonymous Asmaa @ Bake It... said...

Your so right on the bakery / supermarket cakes / confectionary sister, thank you for visiting & commenting & i'm sure your mum would like and appreciate this cake any day of the year :) inshaAllah

 
At 13 June 2012 at 19:04 , Anonymous Noor said...

Btw I am a HUGE walnut fan I will eat anything with them hehe

 
At 13 June 2012 at 19:57 , Anonymous Sanaa said...

Salam alayki Asmaa I saw this cake and now I feel like baking a walnut cake myself, right now! lol The icing looks amazing mashaAllah. I only began baking several months ago and I love it.

 
At 13 June 2012 at 20:52 , Anonymous Asmaa @ Bake It... said...

I wanna see what you can bake/cook using walnuts, i remember those date and walnut balls you blogged years ago were delicious, see i remembered them!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 21:07 , Anonymous Asmaa @ Bake It... said...

Wa Alaikum salam sanaa,
Baking is wonderful isn't it :) you should definitely bake your cake & blog about it inshAllah
Thank you 4 your sweet comment sister

 
At 13 June 2012 at 22:47 , Anonymous From Yeast to Zest said...

Is this the famous cake your dh loved you to make? I remember it... Looks amazing and a must bake!

 
At 14 June 2012 at 09:15 , Anonymous Asmaa @ Bake It... said...

It sure is zelia, inshAllah you will luv it once you bake it. Thanks for the visit, do return :)

 
At 14 June 2012 at 22:05 , Anonymous Melissa said...

It looks so good, I'm going to have to try this during summer!

 
At 4 July 2012 at 14:54 , Anonymous Heni El G said...

Esalaamu aleikoum thank you for sharing this cake I love coffee and walnuts prefect for my afternoon coffee break! cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Got a question? want to share your thoughts? leave a comment here.
*Please note, your comment will be visible after it has been approved *

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home